How time flies! Much has been happening with Friends of Kirra Hill Inc. over the past few months and there’s been a shake up to invigorate interest in our community group with recent Kirra Hill Reference Group meetings.
So the next meeting on 29th May 2013 will be starting at 9.30am for a ‘Meet and Greet’, followed by the AGM at 10am. Make sure you get there and it would be wonderful to see some new faces!
Due to other commitments of a couple from our newly reformed Exec. Committee, September’s meeting is TBA.
Short notice, however our next meeting is tomorrow, Thursday 20 September @ 5.30pm, Kirra Hill.Hope to see you there!
The recently installed art banners which are proudly displayed are a result of a grant received from Gold Coast City Council & Cr Chris Robbins Division 14. The works are a result of our opening exhibition of the gallery exhibition back in July 2011. The title of the exhibition was “White Cockatoo” which is the aboriginal word for Kirra. All the artists are local – Wayne Fraser, Richard Harvey, Jason Miles, Dax Coxon and Dereka Ogden, Pamela Oberman, Jenny Brymer-Midson and Jason Hazel. They sit proudly either side of a magnificent sculpture donated by Gold Coast City Council and Gold Coast City Council. Big thanks also to our wonderful President Pam Oberman for making these banners a reality.
Artist Assist’s first Eclectic Exhibition is now on at The Kirra Hill art gallery. A month long interactive art event showcasing local artworkers of various genres, skill levels, and experience. The Friends of Kirra Hill proudly support this event and it’s aim to encourage visitors to get creative themselves as well as watch artists during their creative process onsite.
March 3-30 with special events and activities throughout listed below and found at www.creative-wink.com
- Tea party – kids corner of activities including a salt dough tea set, toy box, & art table.
- Video art – Fri 9th upstairs 5-7pm c/o Mav.
- Live Art – see website for dates and further details.
- Personalised Poetry – written by Louise Moriarty in the Heritage room 1-3pm.
- Acoustic tunes – Richard in the gallery 1-3pm.
- Meet the Artist – see website for dates & details.
- Equinox event – Gas play & Di James throws digital art at the screen on the grass Wed 21st to celebrate the Autumn equinox 7-8pm.
- Go Gaga – Storytelling by Graeme Grady tba, check website for details.
- Bubble blowing – random activity at the curators will for all ages.
- Blank canvas – contribute to our blank canvas as a visitor to the event. Piece will be offered for sale to raise money for the Friends of Kirra Hill Inc.
A whole new way to experience art and enjoy a family friendly event. Let’s get creative!
Yesterday there was a small celebration of the working committee for Xmas.
It was a fun couple of hours, with the planting of a commemorative tree. We were also later blessed with a beautiful double rainbow right across the sky. More pictures can be viewed here.